Over the past few years we've been getting more and more requests to design, build and develop Squarespace websites for our clients.
Launched in 2004 from a dorm room, over the last eight years Squarespace now employ 118 highly-skilled people and can boast a total of around 1.8 million websites built on their platform to date.
So what's the big deal about Squarespace?
1. You get a two week free trial to try it out. No catches and no payment details required. Plus every annual account receives a free custom domain. That's surely a win win situation.
2. They offer a range of beautiful templates that a novice could use "out of the box" or a designer/developer could alter to their heart's content via a little clever thinking and some CSS knowledge.
3. Their content management system is excellent, and very intuitive. Their technology gives you the freedom to create visually rich pages with any configuration of text, images, products, and content blocks. You can drag and drop your content exactly where you want it and Squarespace will automatically align them in a perfect grid.
4. Squarespace's 24/7 support is second to none. If you have an issue you need to address, simply fire off a ticket and you'll get a reply in no time. From a human being. As they created and also host the platform (via cloud hosting), the team also offers help for issues regarding the build/design of your website and not just keeping it online.
5. Having used Squarespace for the past 4 years, I'm very impressed with their attention to keeping functionality up to date, and paying attention to their customers' wish lists. The most useful element I've come across is the slideshow function, which has quite literally improved my working life beyond my wildest dreams. ;-)
6. With the advent of Squarespace 6, you are now able to run a mobile version of your website so that it looks beautiful on any device.
7. Squarespace 6 also easily incorporates e-commerce for retailers.
8. Squarespace began as a blogging platform, so if that's your passion, you can effortlessly create content and galleries, share easily, map posts with native geolocation, and use their bookmarklet to reblog content from the web.
9. The galleries are stunning, with photographs being very easy to upload and edit. Bear in mind that these don't have to be actual photo albums - they could also represent case studies, services, products, testimonials, or just about anything you can think of that needs to be presented in a gallery style.
10. Everything you need is in one place - Squarespace is fully search engine optimised and allows you access to your built-in analytics to view the traffic and behavior of visitors in real-time. That means you can easily learn where they're coming from, and what keywords they're using to find you. You are also able to invite contributors to help you manage your website, and set their individual permissions, from full administrator to a trusted assistant.
Having watched the incredible progress of Squarespace since I started using the platform in 2009, I have a strong feeling that they will take over the world one day. Watch this space.
If you have any questions about this article or would like more information about our Squarespace design, development and training services, please feel free to get in touch.